1st night devoted to the puja of Ma Shailputri. Shail means mountains; Parvati, the daughter of king of Mountains Himavan, is known as “Shailputri”. Her 2 hands, display a trident and a lotus. She is mounted upon a bull.
In Ashwin month (Ashwayuja masam), from Shukla Paksha Pratipada (Padyami) to Navami thithi, Navaratri Pooja is performed.Kalash Sthapana or Ghat Sthapana is the First Step of Durga Pooja during Durga Navratri.
Kalash sthapana is performed on the next day to Mahalaya Amavasya or on First day (Padyami / Prathami Ashwayuja masam) during Durga puja.
In some places, First three days of Navratri puja rituals are dedicated to Goddess Durga. And the next three days to Goddess Lakshmi and the final three days are to Goddess Saraswati.
In south India, Saraswati Puja is observed on the seventh day of Navaratri which is also observed as Durga Saptami or Maha Saptami. In Bengal and other East Indian states, Durgashtami (the eighth day of Navratri) is the biggest event among Navratri festivals.
According to your family’s custom, if you are doing Kalash Sthapana on the first day of the Navratri, then it would be done in the ABHIJINH MUHURAT. For different places Abhijinh Muhurat’s time would be different, so you should do your Kalash Sthapana according to your nearest place’s Abhijinh Muhurat.
- At the time of Kalash Sthapan you should reap the barley as per your family custom.
Worshiping Maa Durga
- Maa Durga should be worshiped with PANCHOPCHAR (Fragrances, Flowers, Inceses, Diayas and Rice) or Shodoshopchar.
Kalash Sthapan Puja steps
Take a fresh silver or bronze or copper or earthen pot and fill it (upto its neck) with holy water place Pancha pallavas (five types of sacred leaves) or mango leaves. Kalash is decorated with haldi (turmeric powder), chandan (sandalwood powder) and kumkum (vermillion powder).
Keep a coconut on the Kalash and cover it with a blouse piece. The coconut is also decorated with chandan paste.
While chanting the Durga Pooja Kalasha Sankalpa mantra, recite the sloka given below:
Karishyami vratham matarnavaratra manuththamam
Sahayyam kuru mei devi ! Jagadamba ! mamahkhilam
Mother Goddess! I am observing the fruitful Navratra vrata. Jagadamba! Please give me courage, patience and devotion and help me in every aspect during Durga pooja.
Worshiping Maa Durga’s incarnation as Shailputri
On the first day of Navratri Maa Durga’s form of Shilputri is being worshiped. Maa Shilputri’s meditation and Mantra’s incantation is as follows:
Vande Vanchitlabhaya Chndrardhkritshekhram.
Vrisharoodhaam Shooldharaam Shailputreem Yashasvineem..
Mantra: Om Shailputraye Namah
Kumari Pooja should be done on daily basis as per system. However, in this matter Family’s custom is more important. The days are fixed for Kumari Poojan and it depends upon the custom of family or clan, it can be done from sixth day till ninth day of Navratri.
In Maa Durga’s worshiping recitation of Durga Shaptshati is very popular, it is done in Navratri.
It is having 13 chapters. By reciting the Durga Saptashati, deep wishes can be fulfilled. Here’s how you can do it:
1. All three Charitras should recite of Durga Shaptshati.
2. In a condition of inability, read first till middle Charitra.
3. In case of inability, you can only recite the following Mantra:
Namo Devyay Mahadevyay Shivaya Santatam Namah.
Namah Prkratyay Bhadraye Niyatayah Pranatah Smataam..
4. Read the Mantras by keeping the Shaptashati on a wooden stool, after putting the new cloth on it.
5. Reading should not be done silently and in hurry.
6. Read its third, fifth, seventh, ninth, eleventh and twelfth chapters in sequence for peace, sickness of family member, nasty violence or epidemic and for the devastation of the enemy.
7. Read it for 100 times in case of distress, physical problem, ineffectiveness of medicine, distraction of age and clan, enhancement of illness, loss of property and to expand empire.
8. Those who reads Shaptshati on Sunday, get nine times benefit, on Monday get Thousand times benefit, on Tuesday get hundred times benefit, on Wednesday get one Lakh times benefit, on Thursday and Friday get two Lacs times benefit and on Saturday get one Cr times benefit by its reading.
9. The devotee who starts reading from sixth day till fourteenth day of Shukl Paksha, they get benefit in all areas of life.
10. By disciplined recitation of Durga Shaptshati, all wishes can be fulfilled.
Following are some important Mantras from Durga Shaptashati:
1. For relief from grief and poverty
Durge Smrata Harsi Bhitimsheshjantoh
Swasthayeha Smrata Matimteev Shubhaam Dadasi.
Daaridraya-Dukh-bhayaharini ka tvadanya,
2. For peace from various violences
Rakshansi yattrogravishashach naga, yatrarayo dastu balani yatra
Davanalo yatra tathabdhimadhye, tatra sthita tvam paripasi vishvam..
3. For happiness and destruction of adversity
Karotu sanh shubhetureeshvari, shubhani bhadranyabhihantu chaapadah..
4. For destroying worldwide disasters.
Devi: prapanartihare praseed,praseed matrjagtokhilasya.
Praseed visheshvari pahi vishvam,tvameeshvaree..
5. For objection savior
Sarvasyartihare devi, narayani,namostute
If Possible Chant Durga Saptashati or Devi Kavach Daily in Navratri.
Reciete Lalitha Sahasranamam (1000 Names of Devi) Daily in 9 days of Navratri.
Recitation of Shri Ramcharitmanas
Devotees of lord Ram are reciting Ramayana in Navaratri. For this Tulsidas, Valmiki, lord Shiva and Hanuman should be worshiped on the first day. Thereafter, Shri Ram-Seeta and their brothers (Bharat, Laxman and Shatrughna) should also be worshiped. Afterwards, NAVANHPARAYANA should be recited, which is in Balkand as follows:
Hiyam Harshe Kaamari Tab Sakar Sahaj Sujaan.
Bahu Bidhi Umahi Prsansi Puni Bole Kripanidhan..
During Navratri Pooja Try to
- Avoid eating non-vegetarian food during Navratri vrat.
- Avoid Maithuna (Sexual activities) during Navratri.
- Do charity and donation as much as you can.
- Food charity is the main thing of this puja. Kumari Puja, Suhasini Pooja and Brahmin santarpana has to be performed during Vrata. Atleast a single Kanya or suhasini should be fed.
- Spend as much as time in Devi prarthana (in chanting devi stotra).
Those who are not able to observe fasting can also take meal one time a day.
Ghatasthapana / Kalasha Sthapana is performed on Pratipada tithi. Grow seeds of grains in a clay pot or bowl. Install Mahakali, Mahalakshmi, and Maha Saraswati and worship the Goddesses.
Offer Arghyam with flowers, fruits, and other puja material. Perform Aarti.
On the day of culmination of Navratri vrat, offer ‘dakshina’ to the Brahmin.
Tags: 1st day of navaratri, navaraathri, first day navratri, sailaputri, shailaputhri, saila puthri puja vidhanam, method of 1st day of navarathri puja